The Throne of Celedon
Balthazar's Information Regarding the Evil Tome
This is a summary of the information Balthazar has provided the party regarding the evil tome discovered in the Cult of Baphomet’s possession:
- The tome describes an intricate and evil ritual which is used to create a creature called a Kharval.
- The ritual takes slightly more than 6 months to complete.
- The ritual involves the sacrifice of an individual with the purpose of gaining the essence of one of the individuals attributes which will then be used to empower the Kharval.
- It takes 6 sacrifices to complete the creation of the Kharval.
- Certain steps are taken during the sacrifice which decides which attribute essence is taken. e.g. the use of a cheetah’s heart is used in the process which targets the essence of the individuals dexterity; an owls eyes to target wisdom; etc.
- The sacrifice must start on the 28th of the month and end on the 4th of the following month.
- On the first day, the soul of the individual is bound to Baphomet as payment for his participation in this ritual.
- Each day horrific torture is perpetuated upon the individual, used to glorify Baphomet.
- On the 6th day, which is the 4th of the month (Devil’s Moon), the individual is finally sacrificed and his/her designated attribute is harvested and immediately transplanted into the Kharval, whose body is originally formed from the shell of a denizen of hell and that of a goat.
- Following the 6th sacrifice, the Kharval gains life and is at the command of the person who has initiated the ritual.
- The ritual requires the assistance of at least 10 worshippers of Baphomet.
- If the ritual is interrupted at any time, the Kharval fails to be created.
- The body of the person who has been sacrificed becomes a living undead/devil which is under the command of both the Kharval and the person who has initiated the ritual.
- The power of the undead creatures are unknown.
- The power of the Kharval is immense, having both attributes of a devil and a construct, as well as having 6 living undead/devils at his command.
- A Kharval does not radiate evil, although the creator must be evil.
- The Kharval looks like a humanoid with a goat-like head.
- If a person is rescued before he/she is sacrificed, a powerful divine focus must be used in conjunction with a Greater Restoration in order to return the soul from Baphomet’s control.